Given that the UN is an organization which over the course of the last several decades has become increasingly inimical to the principles on which the US was founded it is no surprise that they should be taking aim at the Second Amendment. Yesterday they voted overwhelmingly on the Arms Trafficking Treaty to which the Obama administration and the Left has shown itself favorably inclined. My prediction is that they are going to sign it and put it up for ratification ASAP, if not sooner.
Jan Morgan over at Patriot Update compares it to “unloading a pack of hungry wolves on a herd of fenced in sheep,” and goes on to look at the scorecard:
Losses… (How much time do you have? This could take awhile.)
Here is the short version of Losses right off the top:
* the U.N. “cannot be trusted” with the United States’ Bill of Rights
* The Treaty includes “foreign governments that have shown hostility to the kinds of constitutional liberties guaranteed to Americans.”
* All Americans are harmed when unaccountable international bodies like the UN are empowered to interfere with our protected freedoms.
* The treaty could draw law-abiding gun owners and gun operators “into a complex web of bureaucratic red tape created by a new department at the UN devoted to overseeing the treaty.
* Texas Attorney General, Greg Abbott says the draft treaty is not written using the precise, unambiguous language required of a good legal document. Instead, Abbott says the treaty employs “sweeping rhetoric and imprecise terminology that could be used by those who seek to undermine our liberties to impose any number of restrictions on the right of law-abiding Americans to keep and bear arms.”
This treaty like all the UN treaties, will in no way enhance the American National Interest, but on the contrary diminish it while enhancing that of the enemies of liberty that surround us. As far as I can see the only reason to even be in the UN is keep our friends close and our enemies closer. Would that those enemies did not have so many ideological allies within the body politic and the ruling elites.
Although speaking to the Maryland legislature which is considering passing gun control laws, this young lady’s words should (but probably won’t be) taken seriously by legislators at all levels of government.